The Book of Job;
TEXT WILL BE SHOWN HERE. CLICK ON "AUTO" FOR AUTOMATIC. "NEXT" FOR MANUAL Silent.
1. Job was a perfect and upright man who feared God, and turned away from evil.
2. He had a large household with seven sons, three daughters and many servants.
3. Job was the richest man in the whole land, and he owned much livestock.
4. Seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred oxen, and five hundred donkeys.
5. Thinking his children may have sinned and cursed God...
6. Job rose early and made an offering to the Lord, for each family member.
7. One day the angels and Satan presented themselves before the Lord,
8. The Lord said to Satan,"Where have you come from?"
9. Satan replied,"From roaming around on the earth."
10. Then the Lord said to Satan, "Job is a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil."
11. Satan answered, "Does Job fear God for nothing, you have protected him,
12. And blessed the work of his hands. But stretch out your hand against everything that he has,
13. "And he will surely curse you to your face."
14. The Lord replied: "Everything Job has you can have, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
15. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.
16. A messenger came to Job saying, "Attackers have killed your servants and stolen your donkeys and oxen
17. "And I alone have escaped to tell you." Then a second messenger came to Job saying,
18. "The fire of God fell from heaven, and burned the sheep and servants,
19. "And I alone have escaped to tell you."
20. Then a third messenger came to Job saying, "Attackers stole your camels,
21. "Killed your servants and I alone have escaped to tell you."
22. Then a fourth messenger came to Job saying, "A tornado struck the four corners of the house,
23. "It killed all of your sons and daughters, and I alone have escaped to tell you."
24. Then Job worshipped God saying, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return.
25. "The Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord."
26. Satan said to God, "Skin for skin, a man will give all that he has to save his own life,
27. "Stretch out your hand, and strike his flesh and bone, and he will surely curse you to your face."
28. God replied, "Very well, he is in your hands, but you must spare his life."
29. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord;
30. And afflicted Job with painful sores, from the soles of his feet to the top of his head.
31.Job cut his hair, and took some broken pottery to scratch himself.
32.Then his wife said to him, "Curse God and die."
33.Job replied, "You speak as one of the foolish women speak. Shall we accept good from God, but not trouble."
34.Job's friends came to comfort him and all three cried when they saw his distress.
35.They sat down with him for 7 days and nights; and no one said a word, because they saw how great his suffering was.
36. After seven days Job spoke saying, "Why did I not die at birth?
37."Then I would have slept with kings who built palaces that now lie in ruins.
38."The small and the great are there, and the servant is free from his master."
39."The thing I greatly feared has come upon me, and what I dreaded has happened to me."
40. Then Job's friend Eliphaz answered;
41. "Think how you have instructed many, your words have supported those who stumbled,
42. "But now trouble comes to you and you stumble."
43. "But as for me I would seek God, happy is the man that Almighty God corrects."
44. Job replied,"A despairing man should have the kindness of his friends, but my friends are undependable.
45. "Show me where I have been wrong! What does your arguing prove? Is there any wickedness on my lips?"
46. "What is man that you examine him every morning, and test him every moment?
47. "If I have sinned, what have I done to you? Why have you made me your target?"
48. Then Bildad answered, "How long will you speak these things? Your words are like wind.
49. "Does God pervert justice? Does God pervert judgement?"
THE BOOK OF JOB, PART ONE