When That Which Is Perfect Is Come! (1 Cor. 13:10)by Jeff McNeal (Fort Worth, FL)
1. There seems to be some kind of excitement in the unknown, there is an anxiousness and adrenaline rush in the case when there is an uncertainty of the out come.
2. In the world we are in this can be seen each and every day, there are shows “fear factor”, “hunted mansions”, and many others that are designed to arouse these emotions.
3. Even in the religious world we often find these is those that claim to be moved by the Holy Spirit, those who claim to speak in tongues, and those that claim to be able to do miracles and so on.
4. The question is? “Does God want us to be uncertain about our worship to Him? Does God want us to be uncertain as to what His will is today?”
5. Keeping in mind that when Jesus left the Apostles to return to the Father He wanted them to know they would not be alone (Jn. 14:16,17, 26; 15:26; 16:13-14)
6. There was a need for them to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit to guide them into “all” truth!!!
7. In our lesson tonight I want to study with you about “Are there still Biblical Miracles today?” Many people today will say things like, will if God is real why doesn’t He just come down here and tell me, or show me?
8. This looking for a sign was a problem in Jesus’s day and is still often a problem today (Mt. 12:38-40; 1 Cor. 1:22)
9. We first need to understand what we mean by “miracles” James Tollo defines a miracle “An act of God superseding or suspending a natural law” Many times people confuse providence with miracles.
| a. Jesus waking on walk (Mt. 14:25), it not raining for 3 ½ years (Js. 5:17-18), Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (Jn. 11:43-44) These are Miracles!!!
b. Everything working for good in the end with Joseph (Gen. 50:19-20) All things working together for our good (Rom. 8:28) These are providence =meaning God working through natural laws.
I. The Purpose!
II. The Prophecy! (1 Cor. 12-14)
A. The Miracles of Moses (Ex. 4:1-5) |
B. The miracles of Jesus
1. Prove that God had sent him|
2. God used miracles to show that He was with Moses and to cause Pharaoh to let the people go (cf. Acts 7:36).
C. The miracles of the Apostles
1. Prove His divinity (Jn. 3:2; 5:36; 20:30-31; Acts 2:22)|
2. Confirmed His message (Heb.2:3-4)
1. Prove that God was with them (Mk. 16:15-18)|
2. To confirm the Message!!! (Heb. 2:3-4)
III. The Picture! (1 Cor. 13:11-13)
A. In chapter twelve Paul informs us of nine gifts of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:4-11)|
B. In chapter thirteen we read of these partial gifts ceasing (1 Cor 13:8-10)
C. When the “perfect” came we would “ know” and not have to depend on another to tell us what something means (cf. 1 Jn. 5:13; Jn. 20:30-31)
1. After all the pieces where given, they would then have that which is “complete/ perfect” and would no longer need only a piece. |
2. When the completed reviled will of God was given, there would no longer be a need for the imperfect gifts that were only a part, they would then have the perfect complete will of God!!!
1. This is why Peter could later write (2 Pet. 1:3) “hath given unto us all things”|
2. This is why Jude wrote that we must “contend for the faith that was once delivered” (Jude 1:3)
A. Paul illustrates this point by referring to a child who later becomes a man, when he is a child he knows in part, but later comes to understand and become a man! (Cf. 1 Cor. 14:20)|
B. The church with its gifts and partial revelation was like a child, but over time as the knowledge was given they would become as a mature man in fully understanding God’s will for them!!!
C. The church would grow to maturity and would no longer need to act like children, as the church at Corinth was doing with their spiritual gifts!!!
D. When only looking at the parts we do not see clearly until all the pieces are put together!!! (Ps. 119:160) Much like a puzzle, one or two pieces will not give you a clear picture, until they are all put together!!!
E. When we have the complete/ perfect then we can see clearly!!! (Js. 1:19-25)
1. As exciting as it may be, to have the unknown, the purpose of miracles, the purpose of Spiritual Gifts, the purpose of Prophecies has been completed and they are now no longer needed today!!!
2. God has given us “all” that we need!!! Now, the question is “will we believe and obey?’
3. “So than Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God” (Rom. 10:17)
4. Have you come to have faith in Jesus? Are you living for Him each day?