DID YOU THINK TO PRAY?
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. - MATTHEW 6:9-13
I. PRAY EVERY DAY
A. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing. Always take time to pray.
1. Jesus arose very early to make certain that He took time to pray. Mark 1:35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
2. Jesus separated Himself at times from His work during the day in order to pray. Luke 5:16 So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed.
3. Jesus would continue all night in prayer especially when under pressure. Luke 6:12 Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
B. WE need to put on the armor of God in order to battle against spiritual wickedness, but we need especially to pray. Ephesiasn 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints
II. PRAY TO KEEP THE GLOOM AWAY.
A. When God directed Ananias of Damascus to go to Saul, what did He say Saul was doing? Acts 9:11a Behold, he is praying.
1. Paul and Silas were beaten and bound in prison. Acts 16:25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying.
2. The crew of the ship were distraught. How about Paul? Acts 27:35b He took bread and gave thanks to God.
B. The peace of God. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ.
III. PRAY TO CHASE THE DEVIL AWAY.
A. Temptation. Matthew 26:41a Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The setting for this admonition was prior to the terrible issue of arrest and crucifixion. Consider Peters sword and the others that fleeing; then Peters denial.
B. PRAY FOR THE WAY TO ESCAPE. 1 Corinthians 10:13b but with the temptation will also make the way of escape.
1. James 1:5a If any of you lack wisdom, let him ASK of God.
IV. PRAY TO KEEP YOUR TEMPER AT BAY.
A. James 1:20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
1. Ecclesiastes 7:9 Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry.
Psalm 37:7a Rest
in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him.
Rusty Hilliard pulpit minister Haines City Church of Christ
Throw Out the Lifeline
hymn: DID YOU THINK TO PRAY?
Mary A. Kidder, pub.1876, public domain
Throw Out the Lifeline